Home Protection Scenario Test

• This Dogo was set up to test his reaction speed and commitment when faced with an immediate unexpected threat at home. This was his second time working in a muzzle and first time doing any work at home. He was met with a persuasive kick to the chest and stayed in the fight until I gave the command via E-collar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJupq6LWQ60

• Nice work. Sorry but as a guy that doesn't own a television I was fascinated by that big ass one of yours.

BTW, my opinion you are too heavy handed on your dog, more excitement from you and praise the shit out of him.

The dog is on the verge of looking for a correction from you than dealing with biz. Decoy should have went to ground in submission to end the fight, then muzzle off and bite. All he got was a correction for a good job.

IMO.

• Thanks for watching the video Pete. This was considered a test so my praise was kept to a minimum. There was not a single correction made thought the entire event. Me pulling on his leash that was connected to a soft 2 1/2" leather collar was far from a correction for this dog. The first time he worked in a muzzle in an attempt to get it off he managed to get his dew claw caught in the muzzle and ripped it out requiring a trip to the vet and being out of commission for over a month. I didn't want to go through that again. And the ecollar was only utilized as communication with vibration not stimulation. He fully understands that vibrate means out/stop if that is ignored then there will be a correction. I do not have a heavy hand with Hoss, he is a very serious dog that requires complete and total control.
    Ideally I would of gave the dog a bite in end but my daughter was sleeping and I couldn't risk anymore barking that could of woke her up.
    Once it was over I did praise him immensely and gave him a larger than average dinner :)

• Holy sh*t, thas one mean looking dog :thumbsup2:

You can tell the kick to the chest only made Hoss angrier, which is a plus if you ask me

Great test Chad but maybe get the dog a little more used to the Muzzle next time so you dont have to correct him before the ''show'' starts.

Does the dog comply to your ''out'' without the E-collar?

• Thanks Sergio. I've tried to condition him to wearing that agitation muzzle by randomly putting it on him a few times a month for a short period of time and he seems to be OK with it. Since the muzzle is not a perfect fit once I tighten it enough to safely do manwork it must become uncomfortable because he wants it off. For the vet and crowed places he will wear his clear vinyl one with no problems for hours. If I can get my hands on a quality one with a better fit I'll get it.
    He will OUT without the Ecollar, sometimes faster than others but always will release. Here is a video with his average OUT, it's not picture perfect but he does comply.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curC__XWww0

• Yeah good praise.

Off topic but the role of praise, here is my view;

Initially praise is to tell green dog its OK to show aggression to humans.

Later praise zeroes in on a particular thing you want repeated.

At this point there is a juncture:

a. Your dog is solid on the grip and engagement, pressure...out etc training then only needs to be infrequent and realistic.

b. You want a super trained dog with snappy, flashy, precision obed - training needs to be few times a week every week until it retires. No dog can work mainly in defence like this. A formal reward/correction system and lots of prey work to keep the dog sharp.

Personally I don't see the need for constant regular training for typical PPD or that precision and flashy obed is needed and I can't see how you can train a dog to flashy precision levels without big reward and correction to keep it focussed and in drive.

Not sure vwhat my point is, maybe how much training does a solid dog need once its solid. How much precision and flashy do you want in a PPD. I mean does yr world collapse if the dog returns to heel and its body is not in perfect position/alignment to the nearest fraction of an inch, for some folks yes.

Just random questions.

• Sorry for the late response Pete, been very busy. I agree with you in your thinking about when praise is required. Sometimes I do get a little carried away:D
    As far as why continue to train often, I consider it as exercise and a energy release for the dogs. Last thing I'm looking for is flashy perfection in a Dogo with OB. Hoss in particular is a working dog to the core and needs an outlet from daily life. I do not have the resources to hunt with him and besides walking and playing ball everyday I set aside a few hours on the weekends to let him do what he loves to do WORK.

• In reference to the first "home invasion" video I'm surprised at how fast everything appears to happen. Being the decoy in that scenario, from my perspective things happened slower with plenty of time to adjust my actions for the benefit of the dog. When I barged in the dog immediately reacted and came towards me. But he postured and I saw there was no commitment to engage. Immediately I aimed a coaxing kick at his chest to bring him out and on me, it worked. The reason for this was that first it was my instinct as the decoy to help the dog decide and commit, and second I knew this video will be used to demonstrate the dog and I wanted him to look good. Again I'm surprised how in the video it looks like the dog came right in ready to engage, and I tried to stop it/offer opposition with a kick. I assure you this was not the case.
    Further I had to keep the dog engaged and on top of me by touching him throughout the exercise. Only at one instant did I feel a muzzle hit at all, and it was actually to my lip when I bent too low.
    After that I was done and froze, and just had to wait for the handler to finally decide to get his dog back.

I like how the dog reacts instantly in that situation and offers a threat. But there was no commitment, which raises the question of what the dog would do if he was met with hard opposition. With the amount of expert agitation and attempts at bitework this dog received, together with its purported aggressiveness, this scenario demonstrated him to be just OK. With most credit given for the quick natural reaction to apparent threat.
    All in all there was enough counter threat from the dog to make most normal bad guys stop in their tracks or retreat giving the home owner enough time to grab a weapon, or as reactive as the dog is probably offer a deterrent through an aggressive display long before the intruder came through the door. But as a dog to take into a situation where the shit was sure to hit the fan and the dogs opponent is someone with balls of steel and a stick in the hand, this dog remains far from being proven.

Perhaps due to liability issues especially in the case of an ineffectual handler it's better that the dog did not go straight in for the bite. After all a stranger only "entered" the house, and did not yet try to harm anyone. Despite numerous training sessions the dog appears to revert to an instinctive behavior. Perhaps the dog would escalate with escalation of threat. It's just not what I'm used to seeing from a genetically correct dog that had the right experiences in man work, and displays a strong desire to engage and fight in situations where it learned that it's allowed and expected to do it.
    In conclusion, the dog reacted - good. Didn't commit - good or bad depending on how you look at it. My problem with it is it leaves a doubt about what would happen if the pressure came down hard.

• Regarding "Home Protection Scenario Test" - Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!

I finally joined the world of protective dogs. My pit bulls always snoozed when unwanted strangers came through camp. Not the Rottie!

From a complete lay person's view, Chad, your Dogo played a tune that was music to my ears. I'm new here and looking to learn.