Comparing GSD and Am Bull

• I live in fl and am trying to desided on my next dog. I would love to have a dog that dealt with the heat and humidity better than my GSD and someone suggested an american bulldog. Any thoughts?

• My thoughts are they are crazy! AB's do not tolerate heat well and will up and die from heat related issues even kenneled and not working. The club I train with used to be mainly AB folks as the Trainig Director and his wife breed AB's. They reamain lovers of the breed are judges and decoys in the AB world and respected owners, handlers, breeders yet they still have Dutchies, Mals and GSD and are alwasy saying how easier in every aspect the herding breeds are.

The AB's can't do as along a session as the rest of the breeds in the club and some have that pallet issue and sound like a train chugging by when they are hot and tired. It gets pretty hot here in CA too and I haven't had any problems with my dogs, that a little squirt from the hose can't fix.

• Paige, I think it depends what you want the dog for. I don't think that heat/humidity should be a factor in choosing between an AB and GSD. There are GSD that tolerate the heat well. I've never owned an AB but I know they're supposed to be working dogs, catch dogs to be specific. What more demanding work in a southern climate is there? Greg on this board has an AB that I'm working with and hopefully will chime in.

The way I see it is what type of AB are we talking about. We all know that thre's a big difference in type between the show dog and a working dog. I think this is fairly evident in the AB breed. This is what I always thought the AB looks like.

My experience with that kind of dog has led me to believe that they are.. well, useless. Big boned 100lb range? good looking, friendly, intimidating to someone who doesn't know better pets. More specifically relating to protection work; though possesing good prey not capable of sustaining it due to poor stamina. Low trainability and defense drive.

As I mentioned I'm currently working with a young AB. This dog has tons of drive and he's a thinking dog. Can do agitation for a long time comparable to a good GSD and doesn't appear to be affected by the heat any worse than the average Florida acclimated dog. The owner keeps him slim and fit, he looks more like a glorified APBT LOL. This dog changed my mind about AB. Bottom is which type AB are you going to get.

• I was thinking the working/sport AB, perhaps my GSD just is more heat sensitive than others, she is bi color. I want an all around dog, protection, service, sar, pulling, etc. Anyone know of single coat GSD??? lol

• Have your pick black or white hehehe. White is actually not acceptable but they're around.

In a while I should be able to post a vid of the AB doing some protection work.

• I train with AM Bulldogs and they cannot breath as good as our" Herders". It gets hot here is AZ and the Bulldogs are good for just a couple of bites and they are spent. Same with the banddogs we train with. Our Czech shepherds do much better is the heat.In the Czech republic from what I understand it can get quite hot 105 and very very cold. Now the APBT we train with do very well in the heat compared to the AM Bulldogs. But I have to say the most animated and best biter in our group is a AM Bulldog. Here is a slideshow of Fatty working

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/Mybigpics/?action=view&current=1e6f5c08.pbw

• Hi Paige,
    I live in Ft. Lauderdale and my AB seems to not handle the heat quite as well as the GSD dogs at the club I used to go to. BUT...there was not enough difference to make me regret going with the AB.
    I had a boxer prior to this dog and my AB handles the heat way better than he did. I have also seen other AB's that dont handle it as well but like Dan talked about, they were the larger ones and didn't seem to be working dogs.

Let us know what you decide to do and if you go with an AB post the kennel so I can check it out.

Greg

• Oh yikes, those 100lb beasts are frowned upon by most AB people that "I" know, butthe peopel I know work their dogs and compete in Sch or PSA. They prefer the smaller more agile dogs and I have seen some tiny hog dogs. Greg W's pic shows what I am used to seeing on the field. The bulldogs are split off like the GSD with 2 main groups the Johnson and the Performance lines. The Johnson's being the larger dogs with the shorter muzzles. I'll try to wrestle up some AB video I have on my PC.

• While I've never used an ABD as a PPD; I have used them in the past as hog 'catch' dogs. My experience was they were biddable , certainly alotta heart without being overely aggressive, alotta mouth on the hold.

Dan, the ones I have been around don't really look like the ones in your pic, though. The ones I've been around in the field appear to have alot more leg under them. Dunno.

• Individual dogs deal with heat and cold differently. Lighter color and thin coated dogs should be looked at for the pick. One of the reasons the smooth coat Border Collie is used rather than the rough coated ones in places like Texas.

• Well I just need to find a breed that has a short single coat that has everything I want in it, ie the perfect dog, oh well, guess I am sticking with GSD, there is a breeder in TX that I am watching his first litter to see what they do and maybe next year get a pup. I have a rotti/shep mix that I am training right now for service work which when I sell her I will have the funds plus some to get a good prospect.

• my gsd used to have longer coat before he came here, a place with hot and humid weather. I think gsd is good at adaptation.

• I catch cattle and wild hogs with my Bulldogs and I would like someone to bring a GSD out to play during the 100+ days in the South Texas heat and show me a GSD that can take abuse.

• Hi Paige I owen and worked both breeds alot and a good GSD will out last a AB in the heat and alround worker and I have worked OSW to Johnson bred AB. Both breeds have their ups and downs. I love the AB but if you are going to get one stay away from the Johnson blood if you are looking for heat tolerance. I would get one from down south and check some of the kennel dogs out to see how they are handling the heat and of course a working kennel. The last AB that I worked was a performance AB with little Johnson blood in it and was the best AB I have worked. He only was 82 lbs with little training would lite up on anyone with one command and would out with one command and natural full mouth grips and loved to please. When he hit he felt like he was 100lbs. And he had better wind than most AB's that I have seen. Just like with any breed do your research on breeders and go from their do not settle get what you want. Good luck with either breed and have a good day.

• Hey Allen most GSD that I have seen will run with your AB's but the only diffrence is they will herd your cattle and hogs instead of catching them. Those temps are hard to handle for any dog. Do you have any video of your ABs in the heat working I would like to see them do what they were bred to do.

• Hi Paige I owen and worked both breeds alot and a good GSD will out last a AB in the heat and alround worker and I have worked OSW to Johnson bred AB. Both breeds have their ups and downs. I love the AB but if you are going to get one stay away from the Johnson blood if you are looking for heat tolerance. I would get one from down south and check some of the kennel dogs out to see how they are handling the heat and of course a working kennel. The last AB that I worked was a performance AB with little Johnson blood in it and was the best AB I have worked. He only was 82 lbs with little training would lite up on anyone with one command and would out with one command and natural full mouth grips and loved to please. When he hit he felt like he was 100lbs. And he had better wind than most AB's that I have seen. Just like with any breed do your research on breeders and go from their do not settle get what you want. Good luck with either breed and have a good day.

If your talking about Max I second that motion

• Yes Terry I am talking about Max only thing I wish was that I could of got him when he was a pup and molded him into the dog that I like. Talk to you soon.

• I'm familiar with your wish Eddie, I feel the same way about my dog. But I wonder if he'd have turned out the same in the areas of his character that I do like, had I raised him. It's a hard call because all the best dogs that I've seen were acquired as adults or young adults. I've never seen a puppy raised to be an exceptional dog, all I've had personally were disappointments.