Rottweiler in my future

• As most of you know, I don't post often but I do enjoy reading the comments and stories. I've been wanting a more protective dog for a while. I had the Rottweiler we picked up from the pound that had some potential but she had to go away because my wife didn't have the patience to wait till I could break her of her desire to kill every feline she saw. (I still miss that dog). I ended up with a Doberman who was in a bad spot. I knew she wasn't the dog I wanted but she was super sweet and in need of a rescue so I took her hoping I was wrong. She is one of the best house dogs a guy could ask for, a great ranch dog; she'll follow us all over the property and has chased off a bobcat and a few coyotes and she's one hell of an alarm dog but she'll back off a human if they challenge her. It's enough to slow down a bad guy till I can get the pistol or rifle but still not what I want.

I've been looking heavily at the Boerboel breed. Large, driven, loves to work, protective and a great looking animal but they are hard to find locally and expensive as hell. A pet quality dog is no less than $1000.00.

I've now decided that I'm in the market for a Rottweiler. They have the size, smarts and trainability that I'm looking for and there are plenty of them. I don't need the worlds greatest dog, I don't care about papers or anything like that. I have no interest in showing the dog but he will have as close to perfect as possible OB and I'll get him in on some bite work. I need a defensive dog not an offensive dog. I want the illegals who cross my property to have a bad day if he's outside with the kids and they cross he wrong fence. I want my wife to be able to walk down the lonely county roads and not worry about strays, wild animals and bad guys. At the same time, I want to be able to take him to town to the farmers market or the annual pet parade and have a good time. After hours and hours of research, I've decided that the Rottweiler (properly trained and socialized) is the best fit for my family and my budget.

Here is the only thing I require from the breeder that might be a little out of the norm...S/He has to live within 1.5hrs drive. I don't want to drive all over Gods green earth looking at litters. I'm in the Corpus Christi area of TX.

All advice is welcomed. I'd really like to hear some ideas on testing I can do with the parents besides the friendly testing.

If I find some decent prospects or a decent breeder, I'll update you guys.

• I understand what you're looking for. This would've been the dog for you Guardian Rottweilers Wulf | Rottweiler Puppies Miami. Not a show dog by any means but everything else is there. Just letting you know they're out there.
    I don't think you should limit yourself to a rottweiler though. I understand Texas can be very hot. One of the shepherds, a big mal, dutchie or a good GSD will fit the bill. Perhaps a more defense oriented dog like the CO.
    BTW dogs can be cat broken with a reasonable amount of work using a remote shock collar.

• I agree about the other breeds but I've ruled most of them out for various reasons. He will be a house dog so overheating is a minimal concern. When he is outside, he'll be loose with unlimited water and shade access or access back to the AC if he desires. I eliminated the shepherds mainly because of the grooming requirements. I hate long haired dogs lol. I considered a Mal but I'm also trying to avoid a super high energy dog. What is a CO? I feel like I should know but I'm drawing a blank.

• If you hover your mouse pointer over CO in the previous posts you will see it's Caucasian Shepherd. A breed in the LGD category. They are defensive dogs, some of those attributes transfer over to man work.

I don't consider the shepherds (mal, dutchie, GSD) to have grooming requirements. They do shed, some more some less as GSD have different coat types. But then so do rottweilers.

Shepherds can be well balanced dogs, as far as the ability to stay relaxed and go into action when necessary. Some of my rottweilers are drivey and annoying to live with.

• Have so much drive to the point of being annoying/itching for something to do. Pushy, will come and start nudging me. Every time I pet the the dog it turns into a wresting match. Any movement draws their attention, something in your hand swinging as you walk they'll jump at it until corrected and taught otherwise. You can just call it very high prey drive, but to me it's more than that when the dog views people as his play thing.

• Hey Ryan, I spent some time in Mercedes back in the day and, if am not remembering wrong, it was HOT AS HELL -_-! So a short haired, long muzzled, not too heavy dog might be a good idea... a good dobe would fit that bill but finding one is close to impossible nowadays.

• It is indeed pretty hot here. As I mentioned to Dan, Ive got that covered. I have never owned an outside dog and never will. I was considering shaving him down in the summer if I needed to. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

• I shave my rottweilers. But I'm no sure how much that helps with heat, I do it to not have dog hair in the house. Keep in mind the dogs look much less impressive shaved.

• I don't know...I thought the shaved dog you posted a pic of looked good. Then again, pics can be deceiving from time to time.

• Have a look around on this breeders site. I'm not too happy that I can't see her kennel area but coming by the house to meet the puppies and the parents is fine. She said we could bring the kids and see how her dogs interact with them. Jessica seems legit and like a nice person who truly want to better the breed. What say you?

DOYLE'S ROTTWEILERS HOME

• It's worth going over and meeting the dogs. But I don't see one video of a dog barking so I can't have an opinion on those dogs suitability for protection work.

• I didn't think about that. She said she doesn't train in PP work but claims that if you walk or drive up and they're not outside, you won't make it to the front door. I'll see if I can get her to put together a video of her dogs doing what she says they can do.

• She doesn't train LOL There's a huge difference between dogs barking at an intrusion as a pack, and a dog that's capable of standing up to threat and pain when alone. People who don't train and make such claims are just easily impressed. People who don't train don't have the experience to recognize courage and serious aggression. That's why you will not see a video of the dogs working in %99.9 of rottweiler breeders websites.
    Tell her you want to test their strongest dog. They can have the dog on leash, you'll come up with a sleeve, or the dog could be wearing a good muzzle, fire a couple of blanks and rush the dog, see if it will stand up to you and bite. Let me know what she says :) Most people would be apprehensive to ask such a thing, afraid of being denied a puppy outright. I say good riddance. Anyone is welcome to don a bite suit and put pressure on my dog, I look forward to getting free agitation. Their dogs could be good, there's just no indication of it.

• Amazing idea! I'm on it. I'll call her tomorrow. She has pups due on the ground in late Feb, early March. I'll see if she's ok with me testing those dogs. If not, give me a bitch and a dog you'll be breeding soon and let me test both of them...one at a time. Aside from the very obvious things like tucking tail, what should I look out for? Can I assume that if I freak them out but they come right back at me, I'm looking at a good but inexperienced dog?

• Ryan, it takes experience to know how much pressure to put on a dog for it to show you what it's got, without overpowering a green and/or young dog. It's the sort of thing that needs to be done ethically in case the dog is not strong, so as to not set it back. I no longer feel right giving specific instructions as I blurted out in my previous post. In general you can approach the situation with the idea that if the dog scared you with an aggressive display then it will scare others and fulfill at least part of the job. Any threatening behavior you can come up with without actually touching the dog, like yelling forcefully and confidently, raising your arm suddenly, or even running towards the dog, is fair play for an adult rottweiler that's claimed to possess the temperament of a protection dog. Of course be protected in case the dog reacts favorably. This means the dog on leash or wearing a good muzzle. You'll know if the dog would rather not deal with you.

• That's pretty much what I planned on doing. However, she refused to let me do even that. Her kennel is off my list. There is another breeder that offered to send me some videos of her dogs working and said that when I came up to see her, she'll have her helper there and they'll let me watch him work her dogs. So far, she seems to be the lady I want to do business with. It'll be a few weeks before I make it up there but I hope to have a couple videos to share for you guys and gals to look at.