The state of Rottweiler breeding in the US today

• Today's culture in the US is not conducive to producing good protection dogs, as compared to some countries where the real deal dog is actually required and tested in one way or another. Producing strong courageous dogs inevitably results in dogs that require a firm hand. Management (arranging the dog's environment so it can be left to do what comes naturally) alone will not be enough, or at best results in a sad existence for the dog. Puppies have to go, there's only so much screening homes a breeder can do. Inevitably these dogs with strong drives become a problem and are either destroyed or rehomed passing on the problem to someone else. To avoid these situations even the rare breeders that have a true understanding of what the dogs are supposed to be like, are forced to produce watered down versions.

• All very good points. The question remains; what can breeders do to keep giving us the dogs we want and need while also keeping them out of the wrong hands? What can we as dog owners/buyers do to help them? And how can we owners/buyers be sure we have a reasonable chance of getting the dog we're looking for?

• One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Good owners for serious dogs exist, but they are very few in comparison to the number of pet owners who just want a big black and tan dog. It's a matter of connecting the buyers with the right breeder. For this to happen a breeder producing such dogs has to be good at marketing. It's a simple concept.

The problem is that due to the sheer quantity of misinformation that exists about working dogs, it's hard even for people who have the potential to learn to control a dog (but lack experience) to find the right path. The methods to bring these dogs under control are culturally unacceptable in the US. This greatly diminishes the number of potential homes for serious dogs. Which directly leads to decreased availability.

I always thought that education is the solution. This was one of the reasons I started the forum. But after many years I must admit that it's a losing battle. There are just too many fools out there when it comes to dogs and they effectively drown out the very small common sense minority who tend to keep quiet in the first place.

• There seems to be plenty of Mals and GSD's out there. I can't speak to their usefulness but there are lots of people advertising them that way. There seems to be much less Rotts and Dobe's with similar advertised traits. Yes, I used the word "advertised". I have no way of knowing how many of these breeders are putting out what they claim they are.

For that reason, I'm thinking about taking everything I remember as a kid from breeding English bulldogs and moving it over to Rotts if my venture into the breed goes well. Hell, I might get crazy and develop my own breed. If I did that, I'd be more interested in a farm type dog. Herder, cart puller, protector and in a perfect world, a hunting partner. That's more of a pipe dream to be honest.

I'd be happy just knowing there are good, stable but hard ass dogs out there to be had at a reasonable price.

• I agree with most of what you say, except the idea of outcrossing the rottweiler. It's been tested in Europe for many years for specific qualities, namely stability and working drive. Bringing other dogs into the mix will just dilute that.

The rottweiler isn't for everybody. The rottweiler can be a highly driven dog and often stubborn. This differentiates it from the herders who can have strong drive but come under control more willingly. That's the price you pay for more power. The dog is strong and knows it, and it will challenge the handler passively, sometimes aggressively. Not to say there aren't any handler aggressive herders. Rottweilers are just stubborn in general and this it's difficult to deal with for the average person.

• I don't think I'd cross the Rottweiler. If I bred my own, I'd leave the Rottweiler alone. I'd probably look more towards doing a bandog type. I don't know for sure. It's just a thought I've had.