What do you think?

• Don't know enough about PPD training to give an opinion. However we did a similar exercise in dog school in the military. We would stake out the weak dogs and have the handler attacked. The dog would go crazy to get at the bad guy beating down his handler. Once released to chase and bite, their drive to chase and bite for the most part improved greatly.

I still used it on occasion when training patrol dogs who needed a little lift now or then.

• It's not conventional but it's not bullshit either. I would do that as part of training a protection dog, but not as a way to systematically build up its confidence and aggression. I am more likely to give a dog this kind of experience if by nature it's a strong dog that doesn't need a lot of confidence building, just some situation work to let him know when it's ok to show aggression.

Too many trainers begin and end bitework without any context for the dog. In other words man comes out, he's mean to the dog, or stimulates the dog's prey drive, the dog shows aggression and is taught to bite. In this case the dog is not really protecting anything, there are no conclusions it can take away from this situation about when in real life it should "protect". The training in the video provided context, but too little in the way of confidence and aggression building which is what this particular dog appears to need. There should be a balance. Thanks for posting the video, this aspect of protection dog training is something I always keep in mind and there's been too little discussion about it.

• K9-1 has an extensive videography on its Youtube channel and most of the time I like their videos but this was not the case. I understand where they are going with this "exercise" but it strikes me as another case of "reinventing the wheel".

The video asks for a 2yr old dog with an established bond with the trainer. If your future PPD is already 2 yrs old, you have dedicated enough time bonding that he, at least, considers you "part of the pack" and DOESN'T go ballistic when the decoy starts pounding on you 15 feets from him... you might as well start looking for a new dog because that pouch is a lost case. I understand that the video is trying to "amp" the dog but this was clearly a bad casting. Most of the folk are gonna watch this and get the idea that their dog can become the next Rin Tin Tin if enough stress is applied to it.

I do this kind of exercises but only to polish a confident dog with a well established bite. I understand that sometimes context can be forgotten and the result is a dog with very limited ability to make decisions under live scenarios but this is not the way to get such context. An untrained or even worse, an untested dog has no business in an "aggression simulation". Bad or at least misleading video if you ask me.

PD: It saddens me what passes for a ppd this days :(

• Good day everyone just want to share my opinion. The video clearly shows that the dog is not yet ready or not built up (confidence, skill etc.) to the point that it should be exposed to that kind of scenario for training. First point is the dog should already know the "watch" command or exercises wherein a threat to the handler would trigger the dog to make the correct response or in this scenario's case would trigger the dog to bark aggressively at the bad guy/decoy. Clearly the male handler was trying hard to encourage the dog to react by barking on the bad guy..That reaction (barking on the bad guy/decoy) can be done on a separate training session by tapping on the dog's defense instinct/suspicion, with the handler and his dog onleash the decoy does his work then handler "praises" dog after dog barks at the decoy.. Also, this scenario might make a bad first impression on the dog "that it's ok to see his handler being manhandled by a bad guy" That scenario could be useful for dogs who already know the "watch" command and the "take/attack" command wherein the correct reaction for that scenario is to immediately attack/neutralize the threat/bad guy..