Male pup with strong older RW adult male

• Hey guys,

Been a while as I haven't been training outside of the odd bi-annual sharpening of my old male (8 years).

To keep a long story short my current male has dusted hips, cancer on his lower jaw, but is otherwise moderately active, alert, and with it. When he started slowing down and showing signs of discomfort in the spring I began researching breeders and litters for my next dog. I put a deposit last month on a pup that will arrive in early May.

My question is for those who have raised male pups with strong adult males that were in the late stages of life. What are the do's and don'ts outside of leaving them alone together with no one around? I know it will be a temporary arrangement because of the condition of my current dog (he has six months left at best) but I also want to avoid a situation where I am dog run rotating until that time arrives. Even though the male is old and rusty he is still capable if provoked. He is hit and miss with other males so I am thinking a puppy shouldn't be that much of a problem but I could be totally wrong.

Any wisdom from experience is appreciated.

• Hi Brody. 8 years is quite young to have such problems. For what it's worth with a raw diet I expect 12 years out of mine. My oldest bitch is 8 and looks and acts the same as when she was 2.

I don't think there are any rules about what you're trying to do, other than be watchful in the beginning. Your older male should recognize that it's a pup and not want to fight it. A correction to the pup (growl or mouth smack) here and there is to be expected. But then it doesn't take much to kill or severely hurt a small pup so until it's 4-5 months old I'd be careful.

Glad to see you're going with a rott again.

• Thanks for the reply Dan,

I feed this dog a super high quality kibble ($100/bag) in the am and a chicken leg quarter in the PM plus vitamins/joint formula since he was 18 months old so I am very surprised at his decline in health, which literally came out of nowhere. His lines had great age too. Both parents lived till 10+. He is very up and down. Some stretches like he is 2 and will go on a 3+ mile hike without any signs of being tired and then he'll go a week without even moving until 10am. In any event, took him to the vet in the summer and got the diagnosis because he refused to walk in the morning for about a month starting last April.

In any event thanks again for the advice. I expect he'll grumble here and there at the pup or even snap at him but if he has a go at the little guy he'll be getting a level 5 correction on the e collar, which he'll be wearing at all times around the pup.

• Hey Brody, long time man. Dan has a point, it doesn't take much to hurt a puppy even more when talking about large breeds, i would recommend supervising all the interactions at least until you feel the older male has gotten used to the new guy. Dan just out of curiosity, how much do you spend on RAW? I mean, 100 bucks for a bag sounds expensive. I switched to RAW when my girl was 1yr and can't complain, it's about the same price and she is healthier than ever

• Since you asked Sergio.. IMO "high quality" or even just "quality" and "kibble" is a contradiction in terms. They just don't go together.

Raw is much cheaper and rather than saying much better I'll just say it's actually good for the dog period. For chicken leg quarters which are normally the foundation of a raw diet, I pay $22 for a 40lb box which amounts to $0,55/lb. I also get a 5 gallon bucket of saw meat from the butcher once a week, which includes everything that passes through the saw. It's a combination of beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, organ meat all mixed together. I tip him $5 for each bucket. I would guess each bucket weighs 25lb. So at one leg quarter in the morning and a heap of the saw meat at night, I'm probably paying $0.70/day per dog. I can cut out the chicken when there's a lot of saw meat and it becomes practically free to feed the dog. Much less expensive still when you figure there are no health problems and consequently no veterinarian visits.

• Thanks for reinforcing Sergio-I plan on being home for the first 10 days with them to make sure the boundaries are in place.

Also-there will definitely be no "free time" with the two of them hanging out unsupervised by me-even if the wife is home as she is not capable of dealing with a situation should one arise.

I always prepare for the worst, don't even hope for the best but there is a possibility that the old male will actually like the little guy but I'm not going to hold my breath over it.

Thanks guys.