E-Collar Training

• I recently bought two brand-new Dogtra 1900NCP e-collars. I've never before used an e-collar. I trust the concept of corrections is pretty much the same whether the dog is attached to the end of a leash or if the dog is only on an e-collar.

Please feel free to share with me any links, suggestions, etc. that you may have relating to this topic. Thanks! :thumbsup1:

• Here is an interesting article,hope it helps some.There is another one that I am trying to find but of course you can never find it when you need it....

• I'm no expert on e-collar but I do own one (tri-tronics classic 70) and have a few videos on the subject. I believe the use of the collar has to be approached with careful consideration. I personally don't like the e-collar. I have a natural aversion to giving a dog a stim and haven't yet defined why I feel this way. One obvious reason is that I don't like relying on a gadget that must be on the dog for the dog to respond to me. I realize that a dog can be weaned off the collar by careful juggling between the actual collar, dummy collar and other collars but some dogs still see through it. I would rather use other methods whenever possible but recognize that in some situations the e-collar is indispensible.

The use of the collar can be divided into two approaches. The first being simply a correction. It is a no brainer, the dog does something you don't want it to do and it gets a stim. The only use I've given my collar for a long time is when a new dog that I would put in the kennel would start jumping and scratching at the house windows which face the kennel. In this situation I didn't want to start my relationship with the dog on the wrong foot by having the correction come from me. But the behavior was unacceptable so I would use the collar. Care must be given to use the minimum level stim that will achieve the desired effect. The situation I described is a very clear cut situation that is easy for the dog make a conclusion about.

The other approach with the e-collar is to teach the dog to actually do things. The underlying priciple can be called escape training and is very effective. But it's a training system that needs to be learned and is more than what I can explain in a single post. This is where you really can mess the dog up if you don't do the foundation properly.

• Just messing with ya there Jose! :laughing2:

Dan, I too have some sort of an aversion to the e-collar. But I know if it's used correctly it's an excellent tool. I will definitely only use the minimum amount of stimulation needed to get the desired response. The last thing I want to do is fry my dog and ruin her. :nono2:

• lou castles article is very very good- I love the Ecollar, I do a lot of my training with it-I have read a lot, was lucky to have a lot of experienced people share their own methods with me,have attended seminars on use of the ecollar and I have seen problems it can cause also by handlers that have no clue- it is a tool,like the prong, the choke, the dominant dog collar etc, it can be very effective, if can be abusive-if used improperly( I have seen guys put an ecollar around the dogs neck, tail and flank area...all at one time:nono: but as much as I use it, as much as I like it, I am not an expert. :)

• I think the e-collar is a great tool but I also am no expert. I have freinds who use them regularly in many applications and produce good results. I however am old fashion and find a collar and leash to be more personal between dog and handler so I only use the e-collar at advanced levels of training.

• I expect that the dog learn to accept corrections from me. I try to make corrections just strong enough for the dog to mind. If even like that the dog chooses to behave like a beaten animal so be it. I'm not going to waste my time pussyfooting around the issue trying to make sure I don't hurt his feelings. I try to make sure that the dog has a good understanding of what I want or don't want before I move to corrections. If it's the sort of thing where there is no learning phase and the correction is the learning phase then the dog just has to deal with it. Since when are we supposed to not be personal with our dogs?

• Ecollars are imo a great tool to any trainers tool belt. I use them quite often we customers dogs. The best advice I can give on them is make sure you are not over stimulating the dog. I am no expert in them but can tell you that all you really need to see is a twitch in the dogs ear or something similar and that is what the working level of that dog should be. All my dogs are e trained, and I would not be without one again.

• I have used an ecollar when training a service dog, I like to have an understanding of all tools available to me and when working with so many different dogs like I do I, I really appreciate being able to adjust my training to the dog. I also never ever let the old man beagle out without his on or I will only hear him for the next 24 hours as I live backed up on a reserve.

• I am a big believer in e-collars . Obviously, a person has to do their homework and have a solid behavior foundation laid with the dog before the e-collar is used . Once that has ocurred, it is a great tool . Quite frankly, a simple 'nick' is all that is needed to instantly correct a behavior. Rarely does one ever have to turn on the "bumblebees".:) For that matter, the 'tone' setting can even be very effective.

• I like the E because I can be kinda heavy handed with physical corrections. That isn't a problem with my current dog as he can take it but I'm finding my body can't. I can get the same if not better work out of my dog, with the E and not get myself all worked up cranking on my dog. Its's milder and always smooth, the collar doesn't get frustrated and give a harder zap Where I would get pissed at having to correct yet again for the same thing and crank him harder. I don't get pissy with the collar and turn it up. I guess when I actually have to get "physical" it riles me and I start pushing harder and harder, where I don't with the e-collar.

• I understand the tendency you have Michelle. It is possible to learn to control it. Controlling frustration in myself and stopping instead forcing the issue and creating a problem has been one of the hardest things for me to learn.

• Again I'm not against the use of the ecollar to fix specific problems that can't be addressed in any other way. My dog needs the ecollar to break him out chasing and killing certain domestic animals. His case is an exception though because of the intensity of the drive and the fact that I got him at 3 years of age, the behavior has already been well established. He does not need the ecollar for obedience though.

Here's a quote that I agree with from Ganetta Savoy who's on a list I paticipate in.

My personal humble belief is that a dog that has an e-collar on for control is a managed dog. It is also my humble personal belief that only dogs with off leash/off e-collar control are truly dogs with character. In other humble words--trained dogs.

I believe there are exceptions for using the ecollar as when you need to control more than one dog and simply don't have the time to fully train all the dogs. The point is though that the ecollar is not a substitute for good training.

• I train all my dogs with the ecollar. If used correctly the collar is nothing to the dog. I have seen a very very popular trainer I wont mention names but he is so good with the things that he praises with it as well. The collar should be neutral to the dog in that he doesn't have any idea that it is different that any other thing on his neck. Use caution though when beginning with the collar always have another collar on the dog with a leash so you can control and hold on to your dog. The first time you touch them with the collar they like to move away so they can see where exactly the landmine they just stepped on was at.

• I know that sounds strange and i never would have believed it until i saw it but yes i dont know how he worked that in but he does, i know he uses the tone option on it for that but I dont know the fine details.

• Ah the tone. I thought it could only be that. Next thing you know there will collars on the market with different tones, one for praise and one for warning.