A good rott being tested

• This testing and video format IMO gives good information about the dog being tested. The most important exercise to me is the hold and bark. Not because I'd expect the dog to do it in real life, but because watching how the dog performs it; his attitude and vocalizations, tells me about it's state of mind or how it perceives the situation. I think it's evident for example that the dog in the following vid is a serious dog. The quality is not good because I transferred it from an 18 year old VHS, nowadays the Korung videos come in DVD format. These vids can be used as a research tool to focus on the lines that are showing what you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDam154Eezs

• Hey Dan thanks and nice video. I am not a sport guy but the dog had shallow hektic shaking grips maybe just a training issue but a beautiful beast indeed.

• I don't know about the grips, looked like the dog was fighting good to me. He was taking the fight to the man and shaking out the bite. That's a hard sleeve not a bite suit and the helper doesn't always present a perfect target. I saw some teeth on the escape now that you drew my attention to it but anything could've happened. The dog showed no inclination to come off the bite. I'd stand behind my assessment that he's a serious biting dog. If you can link to a video that will show what you consider a better performing dog under similar conditions I'd like to see it to understand what you mean.

That is not a sport, it's the ADRK Korung. It's a test to qualify dogs to breed. Here's more info http://www.felsigerbergkennels…-ADRK-Spring-Koerung.html

• That dog is out of shape slob. I don't have video but I have seen dogs of better caliber with strong bites and better nerve not for a couple of years though.

• I believe all the dogs to pass the korung must have an AD title which is a 10km run with bitework in the end. I suppose the dog can slip back out of shape after obtaining the title. It's not as easy to maintain a rott in that kind of shape as the herders. I saw that dog panting hard as most rotts do. They exert a lot of effort into the bite, but certainly they don't have the stamina of the herders. Their advantage is stopping power. What is it about the dog that in your opinion indicates bad nerve?

• Dan,

GREAT VID!, there was nothing and I mean nothing in that vid that indicates the dog has weak or bad nerves. I dont understand the language that well as to what the woman was saying but i do understand the commands that were given and that dog was spot on. I do see what Ed was talking about about the grip, he was a lil chewy in some cases but that is nothing more that a lil more training. Beautiful vid and great dog.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Terry S: Meant beautiful dog great vid LOL ().

• That dog is out of shape slob. I don't have video but I have seen dogs of better caliber with strong bites and better nerve not for a couple of years though.

Out of shape slob? bad nerves? please elaborate and put the time marker from the video in your reply so I can see where you get that at please.

• Excellent dog. No problem with him. Shallow bite is probably due to the amount of fight in him. His bite is hard nevertheless. I don't think it is training issue as the other aspects of his routine seem polished. I think it is down to the dog. In SCHH these days people like and select dogs for calm fight. He would be judged as a bit hectic. Me personally I have no problem with him if you are not out for SCHH points. His bark and hold is ok heard better from rotts, but it is intense.

The take down in the escape is due to the dog's momentum tavelling forward. This always catches helper off balance. Most other dogs take the bite then "sit down" into it and hang back or are at the side. Again him going forward is due to fight. The helper in the long flight had problems turning due to the good grip and weight. He looks a bit out of his depth.

Conformation wise I would like to see stronger bone substancein the legs, his pasterns are a bit too angled and need too be a bit firmer, paws tighter but otherwise ok. Some might say his head needs to be a bit more masculine but I am ambivalent. I don't understand the German.

• Here's another dog from the same vid for your consideration :) The video is made up of these segments the number of which depends on the turnout for a particular korung. This one had about 15 dogs and bitches. The first one I posted and this one are the only dogs who's attitude I really liked. This next one does his thing in a different way than the first. I believe there is no way he can be called hectic and the grips are better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFHKPf2LDo

I dont understand the language that well as to what the woman was saying but i do understand the commands that were given and that dog was spot on.

I don't speak German either. But the commentary in the first part is about the dog's physical attributes, and in the last part about aspects of his temperament based on his performance such as courage, hardness etc. I wish I could understand.

• Sad what has happened to the Rottweiler in just 20 years in America. I know of no one who is producing anything with any consistency health or character.
    I like the second dog. Much more fit I would like to have seen more mussel and definition but least he wasn't fat.
    I also liked his bark and guard the fact that started showing aggression before he started barking and he was clean he didn't bump his feet stayed off the man.
    Dirty guarding often is a training but it can also be a sign of nerves gauging from the shallow bites and the dog appearing to be dancing away from the stick hits I say nerves.
    Second dog was strong and had more fight through out. JMO

• Castor from Swiatecki house, (The name of the dog and pedigree) Corporal mass and general appearance: Widerrist 65cm (Withers) Brusttiefe (chest) 32cm Gewicht (weight) 50 kg (length from the buttocks to the top of the head )Rumpflänge 75cm
    Brustumfang (chest circunference) 92cm Oberkopf 15.0 cm Fang (tusks) 9.0cm
    Maulpigmente dunkel= dark colored muzzle
    Kräftiger Oberkopf mit korrekten Ohren= Strong head with correct ears
    )

Temperamentvoll, =Temperament proof A mindful and alert dog selbstsicher hoch= self confident high, Temperament hoch= (High) Führigkeit = 0 (leader following attitude), Schutztrieb= 0(defense instinct)

The dog reaches mittel (medium) in a couple of things, and Hoch (High) in most items. I don´t know why he got several zeros, but it must be a good thing.,

"Every dog, we are told, has his day, unless there are more dogs than days." B.M.

• A man of hidden talents :thumbsup2: Don't know about the 9cm canines though..

Kinda weird, it should said kurz or kräftig ..Short or strong, dunno a lot of strange terms, they are too picky

"Every dog, we are told, has his day, unless there are more dogs than days." B.M.

• Oh yeah Zeb if you call me a ignorant mother***** or ****head or anything I will not try this experiment again as it failed...LMAO