• Hello Group,

I was wanting to try and find out if anyone has had any experience with working Personal Protection with any of the LGD breeds, as opposed to the Herding type of dogs. From what little understanding I have with this, the Drives are different.

The Boz Shepherd is my dog of interest as a breeder, and I am trying to find out what their capacity may be with this line of work. In Turkey, they are reported to be utilized for this, but as to what capacity or limitations I am unsure.

As this is a newly introduced breed to the Western world, I have compiled as much information as I can on my website. www.monstermalak.com

Any experience, or anyone close to East Texas that would be interested in testing them would be appretiated.

Thank You,
    Brian

• Nice Dogs Brian, they look like Anatolians. How big height and weight do they get? I haven't seen many of the Sheep Guardians being trained for PPD work. I'm not saying they can't do it but I have seen it yet. Intimadation factor is there for sure with there size. Great looking dogs!

• Michael a.
    The average height is 33-36 inches, 140-190 pounds.

The LGD part of them is the question in regards to Protection work. I have heard of them in this capacity, and with their size, would think they would have a visual deterent. But i do not know their capabilities or limitations.

Would love to find someone that would be interested in testing them.

They are a working breed, and I would like to find enough venues to keep them working. As pets ruin to many breeds.

• Dan E.
    I raise Kangals, but am strongly considering reducing them to focus on the Boz breed.

On my website, the pictures with Monster, Angel, or Max are my pups. My males Monster and Max are 10 months old, and Angel my female is 9 months.
    I just imported a 8 week old female for myself, and a brother to her for a man in the Airforce that wants to Protection Train him.

Other matings are being made in Turkey in the near future of some of the largest dogs (37-39inch) for bloodstock for me.

I truely do not know what their potential is in this line of work. I feel the results may mirrow some of the Molosser breeds as explained in one of your threads.

I do know that as a casual protector without training, they are great. Just need socialization to show them what is considered acceptable.

Do you have any additional information in regards to the Molosser or guardian breeds?

Thank You,
    Brian

• Well the first thing is not to believe any hype. The dogs are big and intimidating that's for sure. But whether they can stand up to an intruder needs to be demonstrated. At 10 months your dogs are still young, but I know in general if this kind of dog has guarding potential they show it early. So you need someone who knows what they're doing to put a little pressure on your dogs individually on their territory. It would be quick and easy for me to test. I don't know what kind of experienced dog people you have access to where you live.

If you don't know anyone, buy the book Koehler Method of guard dog training, try to understand it and find someone who can follow the method with your dogs.

• Thanks Dan,

Hopefully I will be able to find someone to test them. I have a few possibilities, but with the 100-107 degree days, I will wait untill the weater cools down some. They do just fine on 1-3 hour walks in the heat, but getting worked up may be tough on them.

Thanks for the info on the book. I might like to read it just so I understand things better.

Brian Peckinpaugh

• WELL!!!!!
    After Delay, STRESS, and unforseen additional shipping expense (Custom Built Crate, because she would not Fit into the Largest manufactured Kennel. And additional Weight!!) The Newest and Oldest Boz Shepherd is getting to feel the Texas Heat!

She is a Beautiful Dog that has a Presence not captured in Pictures. With her Mass, Bone structure, huge feet, power and personality, she will be a great addition to the Boz Genetics in the USA.

Being not quite full grown at 18 months old, she is already 30.75 inches and around 145 pounds. Her and Monster will surely have impressive offspring!!

This was a tense Boz Tail Sniff Off!!
    Sheba is in front, look at her structure!

This is Monster and Sheba. Would pass as siblings!

Sheba investigating her new DOMAIN!!
    Pulling my son around without much effort. Cant imagine her power when confronting a Wolf.

• Those are some fierce dogs, I have seen some vids of them in a turkish page that you are not going to like, cause depicts some cruel and gruelsome stuff, if you are interested I will pm you the link, cause I don´t want to promote dog qbuse in any form. Still it depicts the capabilities of some of the dogs.

Beautiful breeds, both Kangal and Boz

"Every dog, we are told, has his day, unless there are more dogs than days." B.M.

• I have researched the breeds for years, and have seen videos of them fighting all types of breeds of dogs. Although I do not condone dog fighting, I have to admire their physical abilities.
    Interesting is the vids of them fighting Bear, 600# Boar, and Tigers. Although I would have to say the Tigers were not giving it much effort. But a dog that will get thrown off by a swat of a Tiger, and come back to grab a mouth full of neck and shake like heck.

I have some people lined out to test my males, and for puppy placement with trainers.
    Guess we will see how they do. If anything like my new female,,, whew! Hard temperament!

• Good looking dogs .. I have a few friends who own them .. Best of luck

Deb

In order to really enjoy a dog, 1 doesnt try to train him to be semi human. The point is to open 1self to the possibility of becoming partly a dog

• Deb,

Interested, do your friends have the Kangals or the Boz?

Are they being utilized for any security applications, or just as Livestock Guardians?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to learn.

Thanks

• Have you noticed the close resemblance this dogs have to the actual forum avatar? I mean the Assyrian Mastiff . I guess Kangal and Boz are both related to them

"Every dog, we are told, has his day, unless there are more dogs than days." B.M.

• Kangals .. they are mainly live stock guardians. They got them bc they use to have Great Pyrenees before .. So they wanted to see about another breed. they have 2 but just for the farm non breeding .. they dont get into it at all ..

No need to say sorry for questions .. Its a GREAT way to learn .. :thumbsup2:

In order to really enjoy a dog, 1 doesnt try to train him to be semi human. The point is to open 1self to the possibility of becoming partly a dog

• Deb,
    Thanks for the reply and info. I have placed several Kangal breeders with friends. As I would rather they be able to live in a good home, as opposed to be kenneled. I maintain breedind access to them, and the dog gets to have a better life. Some are in Livestock Guardian homes, some as Family Protection.

The shock to me is the ability of a Kangal to become such an effective and smart family guardian. A dog raised as a pup with livestock, that would love on any visitor to my property, becomes a whole different dog in a Family environment. The people report that the dogs will usually let only a few close people to get out of their car without the owners presence. But also a dog that is gentle, submissive and devoted to the children.

They also are stunned by the dogs ability to read their comfort level. Sometimes to much, when the dog reads their being upset at In-Laws, and resist letting them in. And feel like they understand speach when they do something complicated when only asked halfheartedly.

I hope they will also show this intuition when tested for Protection work.