Dogo Argentino

• I am getting one puppy of this impressive breed. I wanted a molosser full of attitude and atlethic abilities and this was my pick.

The puppy will be available in a couple of weeks. Any experience with this particular breed, pertaining protection work?

Thanks in advance

http://www.argentine-dogo.com/…ogo_Argentino.html#Eldogo

"Every dog, we are told, has his day, unless there are more dogs than days." B.M.

• Hello

I have molossers myself .. I have Presa Canarios that I am working in many different venues: Obedience, Agility, Weight Pulling & French Ring.
    I have not heard of many doing Protection with them nor have I seen them on the fields where I have decoyed.
    I know a lady here in Michigan that Weight Pulls hers
    Are you planning on doing Protection?

Thats great if ya are... cant wait to see another molosser working.

Best of luck

Deb

In order to really enjoy a dog, 1 doesnt try to train him to be semi human. The point is to open 1self to the possibility of becoming partly a dog

• I look forward to seeing photos and video of your Dogo working.

Thanks for the videos I really enjoyed watching them.

Cant wait to hear your progress

Deb

In order to really enjoy a dog, 1 doesnt try to train him to be semi human. The point is to open 1self to the possibility of becoming partly a dog

• A dogo argentino is not a molosser, it's more like a big pit bull. Their original purpose was a hunting catch dog not a protection dog.

• I think it is accordying to the Pierre Megnin classification:

Graioid ( greyhound type)

bracoid (such as the pointer is)

Lupoid (all the shepherds)

Molosoid ( Strong muscular bodies, large powerful heads)

The Rottweiller was not a protection dog either, it was clearly a "herder" or Cattle dog, Sennenhound, german for cattle dog. But the qualities of the breed were redirected to that of protection and guard activities.

The dogo is a versatile dog, it has a super strong prey drive and a deep dead gameness such as the pitbull, with a strong defensive instinct as well. I think redirecting this dog natural instincts is going to be a capable protector.

"Every dog, we are told, has his day, unless there are more dogs than days." B.M.

• A dogo argentino is not a molosser, it's more like a big pit bull. Their original purpose was a hunting catch dog not a protection dog.

ACTUALLY it is listed as a molosser
    I agree what it is intended for but you are mistaken ..

• The dogo when it's good at something it's good as a catch dog. If I needed protection it would be one of the last breeds I'd consider. A successful dogo PD would be the rare exception rather than the norm. Toño, you can't redirect that shit, the dog either wants to take on people or it doesn't. You'd be wasting your time with this breed, all you'd get out of it is the intimidation value if that. Before you buy this pup go to the owner of the sire or dam's house, tell them to set it up so the dog is in a position to behave as he does normally when strangers come to the property. See for yourself the dog's reaction to your approach and decide whether it would stop an intruder. Don't buy a pup on hope alone.

The dogo in the 2nd vid surprised me, I could work with that dog. The one in the first video is more typical of what you'd see from a dogo, prey only.

• I had a dogo argentine charge me unpro oked.
    I was jogging in a park with my schnauzer when I caught sight
    of a dog closing in on us a out 30 yes away. I stopped and turned seeing
    it was a dogo a Richy Rich Dickhead owns. He always struts around
    with it on a big chain with a spiked collar. The dog leads the
    Dickhead around and he acts like you better get out of our way
    Because my dog is ferocious. Well anyway I see the dog has gotten away
    from Dickhead and has me and my dog in his sights. My decision was to
    Turn the tables on him and get his attention off my dog. I sprinted
    Straight at him waving my arms over my head. That stopped him
    in his tracks and made him cut into a big loop to avoid me. I got a kick out
    Of it and kePt running at him. He just kept running in a circle around
    us. After a minute of this it turned into a game. I called him to me with some
    praise and he came right over. He even let my dog sniff him up
    and mount him. I pet him until his Dickhead owner came over and got him.
    I have nothing against the breed, they're probably wonderful at
    what they're intended for. I just wouldn't count on one in the clutch.

• Dan, What would be your pick for a protection molosser besides Rotts?

• Dan I am curious what you think about Presa's doing Protection?

• With the state of breeds today if I needed protection I'd look at any dog that can demonstrate capability, even a mutt. The only drawback with a good mutt is that it will be much less likely to reproduce itself, that's why it's a always crap shoot with band dogs. The breeds I'd look to are rottweiler, GSD, Dutch shepherd, Belgian shepherd, American bulldog (not the big boned ones), maybe a doberman if it was available. I'd look for a good sized pit simply because of how many are available, at least here. I went to animal control to buy licenses for my dogs, and took a moment to walk through the kennels of dogs available for adoption. %90 were pit bulls. It was a simple matter to stare down those that showed awareness of my presence and try to provoke a reaction from them, then make an aggressive threatening gesture and see if the dog backs down. Out of all the dogs there one stood his ground, a definite candidate especially considering how much he'll improve once he develops feelings for his new home. All the dogs from the shelter are going to be neutered though which really irks me. Also you don't know what bad habits they acquired growing up, some things like chewing up the house can be a serious negative. For strictly guard dog I'd look at a neapolitan mastiff.

The presa is another overrated breed. But good individuals can appear in any breed.

• With the state of breeds today if I needed protection I'd look at any dog that can demonstrate capability, even a mutt. The only drawback with a good mutt is that it will be much less likely to reproduce itself, that's why it's a always crap shoot with band dogs. The breeds I'd look to are rottweiler, GSD, Dutch shepherd, Belgian shepherd, American bulldog (not the big boned ones), maybe a doberman if it was available. I'd look for a good sized pit simply because of how many are available, at least here. I went to animal control to buy licenses for my dogs, and took a moment to walk through the kennels of dogs available for adoption. %90 were pit bulls. It was a simple matter to stare down those that showed awareness of my presence and try to provoke a reaction from them, then make an aggressive threatening gesture and see if the dog backs down. Out of all the dogs there one stood his ground, a definite candidate especially considering how much he'll improve once he develops feelings for his new home. All the dogs from the shelter are going to be neutered though which really irks me. Also you don't know what bad habits they acquired growing up, some things like chewing up the house can be a serious negative. For strictly guard dog I'd look at a neapolitan mastiff.

The presa is another overrated breed. But good individuals can appear in any breed.

Thanks for whatever you were trying tell me regarding animal control and so forth
    never answered my question but your last statement as a smack on my breed. But that's cool. More and more Presa's are showing what they can do. Rotties have been declining as good working dogs just as so many breeds in the past but you see bad and good in all working dogs.
    I just see your statement being prejudice. I will never state that Molosser can out do a herding breed. I own a malinois and my reason for owning is so I can go farther then a Presa is gonna take me in French Ring and I am fully aware of that. But then I dont see things in a Box! Thanks again ..

@ TonoA, get the breed you wanna work and try to get to do something. It is truly impressive when someone can get a breed that is not designed to do something "Do It"
    I have a friend who does SchH with her Border Collies .. I think its GREAT ..
    Best of luck to you .....

Deb

• Deb, the first part of my post was answering Toño question, it was not directed at you. I didn't notice that you have a presa, so my statement about it wasn't personal. Post up a vid of your dog working. Remember we're talking about protection not sport biting. Pics of full mouth bites on a suit or vids with a music soundtrack don't mean much. To get an idea about the dog I'd need to see a civil decoy without all the trappings of sport work such as a whip or clatter stick, and hear the dog's vocalizations, whether on leash or behind a fence. Muzzle work would be another great indication.

• Thanks Deb, for the good wishes. The presa Canarios looks impressive. I have come to realize that "Canarias" The Isles from wich the dog comes from are named after dogs: Can= perro (dog in spanish) is like "dogs Islands" . They should have been very proud of that breed.

Let us know about your experience with the dogs.

Argentinian dogos are very feared around here cause some of them are really aggressive towards human beings. One of the reasons the dog is not that popular as pets.

Here is a fragment of a nice movie called " el perro"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRo56PkE5xQ

• Thanks Dan, There are some really nice rotts around. But my wife has an irrational fear for them :(

• Thanks for the tip on the movie, I'll try to watch it soon.

It's entirely possible that in a certain region a strain of dogs exists that is focused on protection. In this case I would be wrong. I was talking about the typical dogo you'd see in the US.

• The fire doesn't mean anything if the dog is working in prey and has been conditioned to it. Can you see yourself hopping over that little fire? I'd skip over it no problem not even for a reward. You think the dog is so stupid he doesn't understand that fire is no risk? What I see in those vids is that the dog likes to bite the suit, and that it's a strong dog because of the way he drags the decoy on the ground. The vids don't tell me anything about the dog's protection capabilities. I'd need to see what I said in my previous post. It could be a good protection dog, there's just nothing in these vids that demonstrates it.

• yeah, it looks funky. Besides I don´t really understood what was the point of dragging the decoy so much.