shriver's gigz

• If u know or not dogs in prey that are wired right bite people and protect also , they just do it with less stress and it takes a bit more work to produce such balance , listen to the dog he switches in and out of prey at the point he would make contact he means the bite , the game for him is fighting to get to a person , its high drive .. i wish u werent so far so i could show u few balanced dogs who do there job well and dont need the added fear for aggression ..

• There's no need for me to see this dog in person to validate or dispute what I said, it was meant in a general way. The point of making the dog come out in the right drive for protection is not all biting. It's making sure that the dog has the triggers to react instantly in a real situation; putting on a strong display of aggression which could dissipate a situation so as not to require a bite.

When in high drive bulldogs vocalize in a certain way, while to us it's obvious that the dog is crazy to bite, to the uninitiated bad guy it doesn't look as intimidating. Additionally when the dog gets used to working in this drive he is always slow to react in a threatening situation, as he's looking for movement first. This is the protection dog forum, and I'm always looking at dogs from that perspective. When I see classic SCH style decoy work, I try to look past it to get an idea about the dog. In this case I see a very nice dog, which I suspect has more in him than what is apparent in the vid, so I was suggesting a way to demonstrate it, because I would love to see it.

So that you understand my idea perfectly, if this dog was in it's owners home, and a stranger came and rapped on the window at night making like he was breaking in, the dog's behavior would be nothing like what we see in the video. But for our purposes it should be the same on the field and at the dog's property.

• You're welcome, anytime.

And lets keep in touch because as hard it is to get a good rott these days, a bulldog like yours is what I would change to. The fact that it's proudly made in the USA is an added bonus.

• I will post the ped for u. Im not a fan of sure grip dogs or johnson crosses for that matter .. some are nice but i have my reason i got away from that style of dog .. have vid of yours ?

Mine are still just pups.

• Ok cool .. where are they from ?

I bred one & bought the other one from a Oldie breeder in Kansas. The one I bred is 1/4 Sure Grip, 1/4 Hines performance AB and the rest is Olde English Bulldogge, he has high prey but I dont think he has a catch dog temperment but he is really aloof & territorial aggressive, his temperment takes more after a Johnson dog.

Here he is at 5 months old...

• So that you understand my idea perfectly, if this dog was in it's owners home, and a stranger came and rapped on the window at night making like he was breaking in, the dog's behavior would be nothing like what we see in the video. But for our purposes it should be the same on the field and at the dog's property.

This is my dog.
    I can tell you that this dog has acted out of protection instinct both on and off my property. He is at times less vocal than he is during training but his body posture and the way he leans in to pull on his long line clearly shows what his desire is.
    I wish I had on video some of the instances that this dog has switched on outside of training. I have been impressed, and quite thankful, for his response more than once.

As for someone rapping on the window, they wouldn't get that close before this dog was ramming his head and body into the window trying to get out at them. He's done it before, he'll do it again. I call that fair warning.